Bug report #4211
Enhancement: make "actions" tab more consistent and less confusing
|Affected QGIS version:||master||Regression?:||No|
|Operating System:||All||Easy fix?:||No|
|Pull Request or Patch supplied:||No||Resolution:|
|Crashes QGIS or corrupts data:||No||Copied to github as #:||14175|
Some features of the actions tab are inconsistent or confusing. In particular:
1. It is possible to edit the "Name" and "Action" cells directly in the "Action list", but it is not possible to edit the "Type" and "Capture" cells directly in the "Action list". It would be good if all the columns could be edited directly in the "Action list".
2. In the "Action properties", the first three rows consist of a label ("Type", "Name" and "Action"), and widgets relating to that label. A user is therefore likely to think that in the fourth row the field selector and the "insert field" button somehow relate to the "capture output" checkbox. They do not. It would be good if this was cleaned up.
If all the columns in the table were directly editable (refer to 1 above), then it might be best to remove the "Type", "Name", and "Capture output" widgets, and rename "Action properties" to "Action builder". See my first mark-up.
Alternatively, it might be good to remove the entire "action properties" section, and add a button in the "Action cell" to open a separate "Action builder" window. See my second mark-up.
I think I prefer the first alternative, as a separate "Action builder" window seems quite unnecessary.
#2 Updated by Nathan Woodrow about 9 years ago
Personally I like the second mark up. Less UI items is sometimes better and I don't think having a small popup here would be a bad thing. The best thing about Qt is you can make both UIs in Qt Designer and then add a bit of Python coding to see how they would feel better compiling the main code.
#11 Updated by Alister Hood over 8 years ago
- File New_mockup_1.png added
- File new_mockup_2.png added
it's partially fixed.
For the benefit of future readers: the more confusing aspects of this dialog have been eliminated.
But I still think it would be great to simplify this tab, and I guess doing so would make it a lot more useable on small screens.
What does everybody think about doing something along the lines of one of these new mockups? The actual buttons and grouping probably aren't quite right, but you should get the idea.
#14 Updated by Alister Hood over 8 years ago
On another note, there's an inconsistency that in other parts of the gui a "..." button is used to open the expression builder. But here it opens a file selector which just inserts the filepath, while the expression builder has a separate "insert expression..." button.
Would it perhaps be possible to add a file path selector into the expression builder, and get rid of the separate file selector button?
#16 Updated by Alister Hood over 8 years ago
- File New_mockup_1.png added
Slight improvement again.
Note: this is kind of modelled on the symbol properties dialog, so if that changed significantly it might be worth following suit.
It might be good to remove the "add to action list" and "update selected action" buttons too.