Bug report #8979

Crashing WFS in 32bit Windows Install

Added by Heikki Vesanto almost 6 years ago. Updated over 5 years ago.

Status:Closed
Priority:Severe/Regression
Assignee:Jürgen Fischer
Category:Web Services clients/WFS
Affected QGIS version:2.0.1 Regression?:No
Operating System:Windows Easy fix?:No
Pull Request or Patch supplied:No Resolution:
Crashes QGIS or corrupts data:Yes Copied to github as #:17640

Description

QGIS crashed when identifying or selecting certain features through a WFS connection. This seems to effect the windows 32 bit stand alone and OSGeo4W installs, installed on either a 32 bit or 64 bit computer.

So using the 64 bit install on a 64 bit computer works fine, but using the 32 bit install on a 64 bit or 32 bit computer causes an issue.

Tested on 2.0.1, and master through OSGeo4W.

Replication:
Add in a WFS, for example from the British Geological Survey:
http://ogc.bgs.ac.uk/cgi-bin/BGS_Bedrock_and_Superficial_Geology/wms?

Add in the layer:
UKContShelf BGS 1:1M Seabed Sediments

Open up the attribute table. Select feature number 99 and zoom to it, select any other feature, and re-select feature number 99. At this point my QGIS crashes, with the message "Crash dumped". This is not limited to the BGS WFS connection, however this is an open WFS so should be able to be tested by all.

I have attached a project file, which should open up the WFS and zoom to a feature that causes the crash.

Of note, if all of the features are selected (or a large number) then it does not, also the feature can be selected from the attribute table.

I would be happy to provide further information.

QGIS version:
QGIS version 2.0.1-Dufour QGIS code revision 34139bc
Compiled against Qt 4.7.1 Running against Qt 4.7.1
Compiled against GDAL/OGR 1.9.2 Running against GDAL/OGR 1.9.2
Compiled against GEOS 3.3.8-CAPI-1.7.8 Running against GEOS 3.3.8-CAPI-1.7.8
PostgreSQL Client Version 8.3.10 SpatiaLite Version 4.1.1
QWT Version 5.2.1 PROJ.4 Version 480
QScintilla2 Version 2.6.2 This copy of QGIS writes debugging output


Related issues

Related to QGIS Application - Bug report #9378: QGIS crash when editing WFS layers with overlaps Closed 2014-01-20

Associated revisions

Revision 8d7e61ab
Added by Jürgen Fischer over 5 years ago

wfs: catch end of selected features (fixes #8979)

History

#1 Updated by Giovanni Manghi almost 6 years ago

  • Status changed from Open to Feedback

I cannot replicate this issue, using both a normal Windows installation and a Virtual Machine.

Have you tested run qgis without loading plugins? Or just tested on another machine?

#2 Updated by Jukka Rahkonen almost 6 years ago

Hi,

Same crash happens for me but a bit earlier. Load data from WFS, open attribute table, select one, zoom, close attribute table, select a neighbouring feature and crash, no need to select again the first selected feature. Tested with two WFS servers with polygon feature types. QGIS version 2.0.1 on 32-bit Windows Vista. QGIS installed with installer.

#3 Updated by Giovanni Manghi almost 6 years ago

Jukka Rahkonen wrote:

Hi,

Same crash happens for me but a bit earlier. Load data from WFS, open attribute table, select one, zoom, close attribute table, select a neighbouring feature and crash, no need to select again the first selected feature. Tested with two WFS servers with polygon feature types. QGIS version 2.0.1 on 32-bit Windows Vista. QGIS installed with installer.

On Windows/QGIS 2.0.1 I'm struggling with WFS polygon layers (it usually says that the layer it is not valid), but it seems to work on master. Anyway I cannot replicate the issue. Have you tested run qgis with no plugins (--noplugins)?

#4 Updated by Jukka Rahkonen almost 6 years ago

Sorry, but I do not know how to start QGIS with no plugins on Windows. I suppose I should edit something in the file C:\\Program Files\\QGIS Dufour\\bin\\qgis.bat

@echo off
call "%~dp0\\o4w_env.bat"
call "%OSGEO4W_ROOT%"\\apps\\grass\\grass-6.4.3\\etc\\env.bat
@echo off
path %PATH%;%OSGEO4W_ROOT%\\apps\\qgis\\bin;%OSGEO4W_ROOT%\\apps\\grass\\grass-6.4.3\\lib
set QGIS_PREFIX_PATH=%OSGEO4W_ROOT:\\=/%/apps/qgis
set GDAL_FILENAME_IS_UTF8=YES
rem Set VSI cache to be used as buffer, see #6448
set VSI_CACHE=TRUE
set VSI_CACHE_SIZE=1000000
start "QGIS" /B "%OSGEO4W_ROOT%"\\bin\\qgis-bin.exe %*

#5 Updated by Giovanni Manghi almost 6 years ago

Jukka Rahkonen wrote:

Sorry, but I do not know how to start QGIS with no plugins on Windows. I suppose I should edit something in the file C:\\Program Files\\QGIS Dufour\\bin\\qgis.bat

you can just modify the shortcut in your desktop/start menu. Or just disable/uninstall all plugins and restart qgis.

#6 Updated by Jukka Rahkonen almost 6 years ago

Hi,

The shortcut points to that qgis.bat file I referred as
"C:\\Program Files\\QGIS Dufour\\bin\
ircmd.exe" exec hide C:\\PROGRA~1\\QGISDU~1\\bin\\qgis.bat
Anyway, I disabled all the plugins and behaviou is the same. You can see it from a video http://latuviitta.org/documents/QGIS_20_WFS_select_feature_crash.swf

This time I had to do "Select one feature" many times before crash happened, more often the second select is enough.

#7 Updated by Giovanni Manghi almost 6 years ago

Jukka Rahkonen wrote:

Hi,

The shortcut points to that qgis.bat file I referred as
"C:\\Program Files\\QGIS Dufour\\bin\

ircmd.exe" exec hide C:\\PROGRA~1\\QGISDU~1\\bin\\qgis.bat

Anyway, I disabled all the plugins and behaviou is the same. You can see it from a video http://latuviitta.org/documents/QGIS_20_WFS_select_feature_crash.swf

This time I had to do "Select one feature" many times before crash happened, more often the second select is enough.

can you post the url of the server you are using?

#8 Updated by Jukka Rahkonen almost 6 years ago

http://hip.latuviitta.org/cgi-bin/tinyows

I used the feature type "municipalities". It is my own server and I know from the logs that QGIS does not discuss with WFS when the crash happens. It has done the GetFeature and continues then with cached data.

#9 Updated by Giovanni Manghi almost 6 years ago

  • Target version set to Future Release - High Priority
  • Priority changed from Normal to Severe/Regression

Jukka Rahkonen wrote:

http://hip.latuviitta.org/cgi-bin/tinyows

I used the feature type "municipalities". It is my own server and I know from the logs that QGIS does not discuss with WFS when the crash happens. It has done the GetFeature and continues then with cached data.

confirmed with this server/layer, and does not happen on qgis 1.8

#10 Updated by Giovanni Manghi over 5 years ago

  • Status changed from Feedback to Open

#11 Updated by Giovanni Manghi over 5 years ago

  • Priority changed from Severe/Regression to High

#12 Updated by Giovanni Manghi over 5 years ago

  • Priority changed from High to Severe/Regression

#13 Updated by Jürgen Fischer over 5 years ago

  • Assignee set to Jürgen Fischer

#14 Updated by Jürgen Fischer over 5 years ago

  • Status changed from Open to Closed

#15 Updated by Jürgen Fischer over 5 years ago

  • Target version changed from Future Release - High Priority to Version 2.2
  • Status changed from Closed to In Progress

#16 Updated by Jürgen Fischer over 5 years ago

  • Status changed from In Progress to Closed

#17 Updated by Heikki Vesanto over 5 years ago

I can confirm that in the developer version QGIS code revision: 8f7c879 the issue is no longer present. Thanks, much appreciated.

Also available in: Atom PDF