Bug report #4100
Text for two CRS dialogues is wrong (swapped)
|Affected QGIS version:||3.6.0||Regression?:||No|
|Operating System:||Easy fix?:||No|
|Pull Request or Patch supplied:||No||Resolution:|
|Crashes QGIS or corrupts data:||No||Copied to github as #:||14082|
Running trunk, when I have enabled "Settings>Options>CRS>Coordinate Reference System for new layers>Prompt for CRS", if I add a vector layer with no CRS then the dialogue says:
"Specify CRS for layer SOME_FILE_NAME"
When I right-click on a layer and choose "Set layer CRS", even if the layer does have a projection specification, the dialogue says:
"Define this layer's coordinate reference system:
This layer appears to have no projection specification. By default this layer will now have its projection set to that of the project, but you may override this by selecting a different projection below."
These two texts must have been mixed up.
#1 Updated by Paolo Cavallini over 11 years ago
- Category set to Projection Support
#2 Updated by Alister Hood over 11 years ago
There is a similar issue for raster layers. In this case, the correct text ("This layer appears to have no...") is shown when adding a layer with no CRS, but the same text is incorrectly shown when right-clicking on a layer with a CRS and choosing "Set layer CRS".
#3 Updated by Giovanni Manghi over 11 years ago
- Target version set to Version 1.7.4
#4 Updated by Paolo Cavallini about 11 years ago
- Target version changed from Version 1.7.4 to Version 1.8.0
- Affected QGIS version set to master
- Crashes QGIS or corrupts data set to No
#5 Updated by Paolo Cavallini over 10 years ago
- Target version changed from Version 1.8.0 to Version 2.0.0
#6 Updated by Alister Hood over 10 years ago
It seems that people coming from ArcGIS tend to expect "Specify CRS" to do something completely different. Rather than QGIS treating the data as if it is in the specified CRS, they expect it to do on-the-fly coordinate transformation to the specified CRS, so that calculations etc using that layer are done as if the layer had been transformed to that CRS.
Because of this it might be worth adding to the "Specify CRS for layer SOME_FILE_NAME" an explanation something like "N.B. this means QGIS will treat the layer as if its original data is actually in the specified CRS. It does not transform the data to the specified CRS."
#7 Updated by Jürgen Fischer almost 9 years ago
- Target version changed from Version 2.0.0 to Future Release - Lower Priority
#8 Updated by Médéric RIBREUX over 7 years ago
- Tag set to easy
Hello, bug triage...
still true for QGIS 2.13.
to fix this, we need to:
- modify the default message in QgsGenericProjectionSelector::setMessage
- modify the code of QgisApp::validateSrs to add the previous generic message and also adding the validationHint words.
This should be an easy fix...
#9 Updated by Giovanni Manghi about 6 years ago
- Easy fix? set to No
- Regression? set to No
#10 Updated by Alister Hood over 5 years ago
- Description updated (diff)
#11 Updated by Giovanni Manghi about 4 years ago
- Status changed from Open to Closed
- Resolution set to end of life
End of life notice: QGIS 2.18 LTR
#12 Updated by Alister Hood about 4 years ago
- Status changed from Closed to Reopened
Still valid for QGIS 3.6
#13 Updated by Alister Hood about 4 years ago
- Resolution deleted (
end of life)
#14 Updated by Giovanni Manghi about 4 years ago
- Status changed from Reopened to Open
- Category changed from Projection Support to GUI
- Affected QGIS version changed from master to 3.6.0