Bug report #9396
deactivate the Select datum transformations dialog by default
|Affected QGIS version:||master||Regression?:||No|
|Operating System:||Easy fix?:||No|
|Pull Request or Patch supplied:||No||Resolution:|
|Crashes QGIS or corrupts data:||No||Copied to github as #:||17994|
I'd classify the current behavior as a serious usability issue. Here is why:
- Most users are happy with the default transformations. (I assume that's the case because it's not often a topic in the support channels.)
- It adds at least two more clicks for opening a layer (if it has to be transformed).
- Opening old project files is a real pain (until you notice and decide to use "remember selection").
- Many users have no idea what to do with the dialog. It's just a list of weird parameters which most have never seen before. You only get some information about "preferred" and "deprecated" transformations on mouse-over.
- Hiding deprecated transformations does not seem to work currently (tested with nightly on Windows 7).
- Users who need non-standard transformations could add them to their QGIS options.
- I think we would just scare away users if the first thing they see when they try to load some dataset is this dialog.
For full discussion please refer to: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Can-we-deactivate-the-Select-datum-transformations-dialog-by-default-tt5099061.html
Fix #9396 (deactivate datum transform dialog by default)
Added a checkbox in Options > CRS > Default datum transformations to re-enable the dialog when desired