Bug report #6710
QGIS appears to support editing joined tables, but it really does not
|Affected QGIS version:||master||Regression?:||No|
|Operating System:||Easy fix?:||No|
|Pull Request or Patch supplied:||No||Resolution:||fixed/implemented|
|Crashes QGIS or corrupts data:||No||Copied to github as #:||15875|
- Join any table A to any table B.
- Open the attribute table for table B and enable editing. You will be able to edit the joined fields and even click "save" without any error/warning messages. But if you close and then reopen the table you will find that the edits were not saved, because QGIS only supports read-only joins (I think there is a ticket for read-write joins).
- The delete column dialog lists the read-only columns
- The field calculator lists the read-only columns under "update existing field"
- The joined columns are included in the new "Column Preview" list (in QGIS 2 - see description below). But if you select one of them, you get an error message.
#2 Updated by Giovanni Manghi almost 9 years ago
- Status changed from Open to Feedback
Alister Hood wrote:
Also tested in 1.8
The only difference is that in 1.8 the table updates when you "save" - you don't need to close and reopen it to see that the changes were not saved.
so, seems a regression, right?
#5 Updated by Alister Hood over 8 years ago
This has improved somewhat in master. If you try to delete a joined column or edit a joined field it fails silently, but now at least you can still see that nothing has actually changed.
There is another new issue: if you click the left button in the bottom right of the attribute table (BTW, what is it called? These buttons need tooltips), then click the drop-down thing at the top left, the joined columns will be included in the "Column Preview" list. But if you select one of them, you get an error message:
Could not set column 'Column_name' as preview column. Parser error: syntax error, unexpected COLUMN_REF, expecting $end
#6 Updated by Giovanni Manghi almost 7 years ago
- Resolution set to fixed/implemented
- Status changed from Feedback to Closed
all issues seems solved to me in master: joined columns are clearly marked in several dialogs (like the delete column one) and the error described in the last comment does not show anymore.