Feature request #5342

Add a tool to allow continue editing of already existing line geometries

Added by Giovanni Manghi over 5 years ago. Updated 7 months ago.

Status:Closed
Priority:Normal
Assignee:-
Category:Digitising
Pull Request or Patch supplied:No Resolution:fixed/implemented
Easy fix?:No

Description

Subject says it all. Is a common tool in other GIS packages.

History

#1 Updated by Pirmin Kalberer about 5 years ago

  • Target version changed from Version 2.0.0 to Future Release - Nice to have

#2 Updated by Bernhard Ströbl about 4 years ago

Giovanni,

please check if the prolong line tool in digitizing tools plugin (experimental) solves this issue.

#3 Updated by Giovanni Manghi about 4 years ago

  • Status changed from Open to Closed
  • Resolution set to wontfix

Bernhard Ströbl wrote:

Giovanni,

please check if the prolong line tool in digitizing tools plugin (experimental) solves this issue.

perfect!

#4 Updated by Nathan Woodrow about 4 years ago

Can we reopen this. I think should be a core feature not something we have to get in a plugin.

#5 Updated by Giovanni Manghi about 4 years ago

  • Status changed from Closed to Open
  • Resolution deleted (wontfix)

Nathan Woodrow wrote:

Can we reopen this. I think should be a core feature not something we have to get in a plugin.

Sure. Problem is that there are so many digitizing plugins that I would personally like to see as core tools :)

#6 Updated by Bernhard Ströbl about 4 years ago

Giovanni Manghi wrote:

Nathan Woodrow wrote:

Can we reopen this. I think should be a core feature not something we have to get in a plugin.

Sure. Problem is that there are so many digitizing plugins that I would personally like to see as core tools :)

We had a discussion on the list last fall [1] that there is a need for more (and advanced) editing tools. Currently they are under development as a user plugin but I do not mind them being a core plugin as soon we have finished all we have in mind and the whole thing is a bit polished :).
Shouldn't we have a seperate ticket for this make DigitizingTools a core plugin then?

[1] http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/more-advanced-editing-tools-td5019552.html

#7 Updated by Nathan Woodrow about 4 years ago

I would say create a ticket called something like "Advanced editing tools" and create a new ticket for each edit tool that we should have as core. You can assign these tickets as children of the "Advanced editing tools" ticket so they are all grouped together.

We should just aim to make them core features, ignore the core plugin idea.

#8 Updated by Bernhard Ströbl about 4 years ago

Nathan Woodrow wrote:

We should just aim to make them core features, ignore the core plugin idea.

That will need C++ skills, won't it? I am afraid I am glad to get my things done in Python :)

#9 Updated by Nathan Woodrow about 4 years ago

Bernhard Ströbl wrote:

That will need C++ skills, won't it? I am afraid I am glad to get my things done in Python :)

It will but don't worry about that for now :) Lets just get some tickets made and we can come back to it in time. If you have a working implementation in Python converting it to C++ isn't too hard.

#10 Updated by Giovanni Manghi about 4 years ago

[1] http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/more-advanced-editing-tools-td5019552.html

I get a lot of feedback from training courses and the most asked are:

fill spaces
fill holes, done thanks to Bernhard
remove overlapped areas
open hole/ring + automatic fill with a new polygon (with pop up for attributes)
continue line edit, done thanks to Bernhard
avoid intersection when copying/pasting polygons

#11 Updated by Bernhard Ströbl about 4 years ago

fill spaces will be finished today and called fill gaps; wait for the next version of the plugin :-)
open hole/ring + automatic fill with a new polygon (with pop up for attributes): this is a combination of two tools, i.e. the standard add ring and my fill ring, I doubt it is necessary to make an extra one for that.
avoid intersection when copying/pasting polygons: this is a must for me, too, but should be realized in core functionality as both avoid overlaps and copy/paste are core

#12 Updated by Giovanni Manghi about 4 years ago

Bernhard Ströbl wrote:

fill spaces will be finished today and called fill gaps; wait for the next version of the plugin :-)

oh great!

open hole/ring + automatic fill with a new polygon (with pop up for attributes): this is a combination of two tools, i.e. the standard add ring and my fill ring, I doubt it is necessary to make an extra one for that.

of course

avoid intersection when copying/pasting polygons: this is a must for me, too, but should be realized in core functionality as both avoid overlaps and copy/paste are core

ok

#13 Updated by Giovanni Manghi 7 months ago

  • Easy fix? set to No

#14 Updated by Regis Haubourg 7 months ago

New node tool in 2.99 allows to add a node after the line end. It does partially respond as you can only for now add one node. Workaround for full line extension is to add the node and use the reshape tool to finalize the latest segment.

#15 Updated by Giovanni Manghi 7 months ago

Regis Haubourg wrote:

New node tool in 2.99 allows to add a node after the line end. It does partially respond as you can only for now add one node. Workaround for full line extension is to add the node and use the reshape tool to finalize the latest segment.

why just 1 node? it is by design or it was overlooked when doing the new node tool?

#16 Updated by Harrissou Santanna 7 months ago

I didn't read all the discussion (in case the request has evolved) but the reshape tool does extend existing linestring. See https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/editing_geometry_attributes.html#reshape-features or http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/visualchangelog216/index.html#feature-extend-linestring-geometries-with-reshape-tool
Hence this issue can be closed...

#17 Updated by Giovanni Manghi 7 months ago

  • Status changed from Open to Closed
  • Resolution set to fixed/implemented

Also available in: Atom PDF