Bug report #21372
OTB provider setup
|Affected QGIS version:||3.7(master)||Regression?:||No|
|Operating System:||Easy fix?:||No|
|Pull Request or Patch supplied:||No||Resolution:|
|Crashes QGIS or corrupts data:||No||Copied to github as #:||29189|
In Debian, the paths to add to the config are `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/otb/applications/` and `/usr`. This is not documented, and it is difficult to find for the user. Better add it as a default (similarly for other OSs).
More generally: why is this necessary? Other backends do not need a config, and this is way easier for the user.
#3 Updated by Rashad Kanavath about 2 years ago
I will list three widely used oses and my options below.
OTB was removed from OSGeo4W due to issues with geos and ossim. So it cannot check a list of possible install path or use some relative path to OSGEO4W_ROOT.
What it can have is to work on integration of OTB install (like grass) into QGIS windows installer. This will be easy and users can opt-in if they want to download and install otb from installer menu. With that done.. qgis will be ready to use otb without any further configuration.
This part was distribution specific for Linux and we decided not to check a list of possible install path for otb. That part should be handled by packagers. I will see if debian package is creating a qgis profile where I can add path to otb.
I don't have a clean solution for osx to pre-configure otb provider. Maybe osgeo4mac guys can help us. 
#7 Updated by Rashad Kanavath about 2 years ago
out of curiosity... what issues?
Long story in bullet points :)
- OTB depends on ossim library which uses geos and it use C++ version (works fine for otb and ossim)
- OSSIM refuse to rewrite parts of geos c++ code used because ossim is also using c++ and don't care much on geos c api part.
- OTB team was not able to catchup with all activies in ossim (not a very open source friendly dev process)
- OSGeo4W remove geos c++ package even when contributed by otb team.
- Due to overhead in maintaining ossim, geos-c++, itk, and using old msvc version, otb team has to back off from process
FWIW, OTB windows package (zip, no admin required) works fine and can be easily integrated into QGIS installer...
#8 Updated by Rashad Kanavath about 2 years ago
OSGeo4Mac had told to update qgis3 customization to find otb.