Bug report #18487

Print composer extremely slow outputting PDF's

Added by Simon McGowan about 2 years ago. Updated over 1 year ago.

Status:Closed
Priority:High
Assignee:-
Category:Map Composer/Printing
Affected QGIS version:2.18.9 Regression?:Yes
Operating System:Windows 7 Enterprise (Service pack 1) 64-bit, 16GB Ram, Intel core i7-4800MQ 2.7GHz Easy fix?:No
Pull Request or Patch supplied:No Resolution:
Crashes QGIS or corrupts data:No Copied to github as #:26375

Description

I'm using QGIS version 2.18.9. When outputting an atlas as PDF's performance is terrible. I spent hours yesterday trying to output 48 pdfs from an atlas suffering multiple crashes. Whilst searching on here I found similar issues reporting the same thing and people also reporting that it was working in a previous version of QGIS. I tried with version 2.16.3 and did not suffer the same performance issues. Some numbers for you:

QGIS V2.16.3 - Outputting 48 no. PDFs as Raster took 5 minutes.
QGIS V2.18.9 - Outputting the same PDFs as Raster started 40 minutes ago and is only up to number 39.

I also noticed that before I selected output as Raster the file size was 4x bigger in 2.18.9 as it was in 2.16 approximately 100mb as opposed to roughly 25mb.

Unfortunately I cannot share the data due to the project I am working on. As an example of the data set I have in the project here are some stats:

There are 200 vector layers, mainly GeoDB files with a few shapefiles.
There are 282 background raster images from ordnance survey open data. (display controlled by the scale)

History

#1 Updated by Nyall Dawson about 2 years ago

  • Status changed from Open to Feedback

There's really not enough info here for any meaningful debugging... I'd suggest trying with no plugins, testing on a different machine, remove layers one by one, etc and see if you can narrow down what causes the issue. It's not a common issue.

#2 Updated by Simon McGowan about 2 years ago

That's fine. I've made you aware that somewhere between 2.16.3 and 2.18.9 there is a problem. It works as expected in 2.16.3 so I will use that version for my work, unfortunately I haven't got time to trial and error every layer I have.

I disagree that its not a common issue, others have reported similar problems with 2.18: #17117, #16829, #15780

It finally took 55 minutes to output the PDFs by the way. 2.16 for the win!

#3 Updated by Nyall Dawson about 2 years ago

Ok - but be aware that none of those reports are reproducable either. End result is that this bug is never going to get fixed unless someone who experiences it can share a project and data which demonstrates it.

#4 Updated by Nyall Dawson over 1 year ago

  • Status changed from Feedback to Closed

Closed due to lack of feedback

Also available in: Atom PDF