Bug report #11110

Translate (convert format) [gdal_translate]: export format in batch mode always outputs GeoTIFF

Added by d d about 6 years ago. Updated about 6 years ago.

Status:Closed
Priority:Normal
Assignee:-
Category:GDAL Tools
Affected QGIS version:2.4.0 Regression?:No
Operating System:Linux Mint (Ubuntu) Easy fix?:No
Pull Request or Patch supplied:No Resolution:
Crashes QGIS or corrupts data:No Copied to github as #:19440

Description

When using "Translate (convert format)" from the GUI (gdal_translate), the export format in batch mode always outputs GeoTIFF files even when a different format is selected (e.g., *.ASC).

While the outputted files have the appropriate extension (e.g., *.ASC), the files themselves are reported as GeoTIFF format when examining metadata.

Above behaviour happens when converting TIF to either ASC or PIX formats. Didn't try other formats to see if the issue persists.

When not using batch mode, and specifying the output format (e.g., -of AAIGrid) in the command line edit box for gdal_translate, the files export into their intended format. Metadata confirmed.

Associated revisions

History

#1 Updated by d d about 6 years ago

  • Target version changed from Future Release - High Priority to Version 2.6

#2 Updated by Jürgen Fischer about 6 years ago

  • Category changed from Browser to GDAL Tools
  • Target version deleted (Version 2.6)

#3 Updated by Jürgen Fischer about 6 years ago

  • Priority changed from High to Normal

#4 Updated by Jürgen Fischer about 6 years ago

  • Subject changed from Translate (covert format) [gdal_translate]: export format in batch mode always outputs GeoTIFF to Translate (convert format) [gdal_translate]: export format in batch mode always outputs GeoTIFF

#5 Updated by d d about 6 years ago

  • Target version set to Version 2.6

This is clearly a bug and should be a high priority update for a future release (e.g., 2.6). I wasted several hours of processing time because the output format is NOT what was specified within the dialog box. If this isn't fixed by the next release, the ability to use this option should NOT be available to the end user, or the dialog box should specify that GeoTIFF is the only output option.

#6 Updated by d d about 6 years ago

  • Target version changed from Version 2.6 to Future Release - High Priority

#7 Updated by Jürgen Fischer about 6 years ago

  • Target version deleted (Future Release - High Priority)

d d wrote:

This is clearly a bug and should be a high priority update for a future release (e.g., 2.6). I wasted several hours of processing time because the output format is NOT what was specified within the dialog box. If this isn't fixed by the next release, the ability to use this option should NOT be available to the end user, or the dialog box should specify that GeoTIFF is the only output option.

By that definition almost any bug would high priority and would have to be fixed in the next release. That won't happen as it's simply unfeasible.

#8 Updated by d d about 6 years ago

  • Target version set to Future Release - High Priority

Jürgen Fischer wrote:

d d wrote:

This is clearly a bug and should be a high priority update for a future release (e.g., 2.6). I wasted several hours of processing time because the output format is NOT what was specified within the dialog box. If this isn't fixed by the next release, the ability to use this option should NOT be available to the end user, or the dialog box should specify that GeoTIFF is the only output option.

By that definition almost any bug would high priority and would have to be fixed in the next release. That won't happen as it's simply unfeasible.

That's a very narrow reading and rather flippant interpretation of my comment in the context of the submitted bug report.

While it's not my place to say what is or isn't feasible to fix by the next release date, my suggestion still stands. Hopefully it will be fixed or amended as suggested in a future release.

#9 Updated by Jürgen Fischer about 6 years ago

  • Status changed from Open to Closed

#10 Updated by Paolo Cavallini about 6 years ago

d d please be kind with people who work hard everyday to bring you the best possible GIS, free for you to use

#11 Updated by Jürgen Fischer about 6 years ago

  • Target version deleted (Future Release - High Priority)

#12 Updated by d d about 6 years ago

Paolo Cavallini wrote:

d d please be kind with people who work hard everyday to bring you the best possible GIS, free for you to use

It takes the whole community to make great software. Don't forget that we, the users of QGIS, also work hard everyday when we use, test, find and report bugs. Without a healthy user base contributing to this effort, QGIS would not be the best possible GIS it is today (and it is, a great GIS).

I see no unkindness on my part in the above comments, but I am thankful that the issue was addressed, so thank you Jürgen. You (and I) have helped contribute to making QGIS an even better piece of software, free for all to use.

Also available in: Atom PDF