Bug report #7639
important data loss regression: data entered into newly created column(s) lost when saving changes
|Affected QGIS version:||master||Regression?:||No|
|Operating System:||Easy fix?:||No|
|Pull Request or Patch supplied:||Yes||Resolution:|
|Crashes QGIS or corrupts data:||Yes||Copied to github as #:||16560|
Spotted a pretty big regression: if a user create a new column and input data into the newly created column without within one edit session (i.e. before clicking on save button), the data will disappear when saving layer changes. This is happening when editing shapefiles, possibly affects other formats.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Load the attached shapefile (data_loss.shp) into a new project
2. Open the layer's attribute table and activate the edit mode
3. Add an integer column via new column window
4. Add (random) values into the newly created column
5. Deactivate the edit mode and when your asked to save changes, click on the "save button"
At this stage, all of the values you've entered are gone, replaced by NULL.
This has the potential to lead to important data loss for quite a large number of users as the above steps are quite common. Flagging this issue as leading to data "corruption".