Bug report #3527
Crash when removing layers from project
|Affected QGIS version:||master||Regression?:||No|
|Operating System:||Windows||Easy fix?:||No|
|Pull Request or Patch supplied:||No||Resolution:||fixed|
|Crashes QGIS or corrupts data:||No||Copied to github as #:||13587|
When removing layers from a large project (e.g. 700k project file) there are two problems:
1) Removing a layer or group of layers can take some time but there is no visual indicator of activity (e.g. cursor change to hourglass) and behaviour seems undefined while the removal is in progress.
2) Sometimes, even without any user activity after the Remove is started, QGIS crashes.
Single layers seem to remove (relatively) safely - the problem seems much more likely to occur when deleting groups of layers, especially rasters.
#1 Updated by Mayeul Kauffmann almost 10 years ago
I could not make it crash myself with many vector layers (on Kubuntu 10.10), but I noticed the following, which may be related tot he slowness problem:
Having a project with:
- 6 vector layers (shapefiles and postgis connections)
- one group of 10 vector layers (gpx/track)
- one openlayer layer (Google satellite, visible)
- one openlayer layer (OSM, unchecked)
When I deleted the group of gpx/track) vector layers, the map was updated after the removal of each one of the 10 layers (which was quite slow).
#5 Updated by Giovanni Manghi about 9 years ago
- Status changed from Open to Closed
- Resolution set to fixed
The hourglass is now shown when removing layers/groups, at least on qgis-master.
I cannot replicate to get the crash on qgis-master on Windows/osgeo4w and on Ubuntu Linux. I tested removing may times groups of rasters and PostGIS/Shapes vectors. Please test again and reopen if necessary preferably by adding a project/layers to help replicate the issue. Eventually try also remove any 3rd party plugin.
The refresh issue when removing groups has been added to the proper ticket #2596