Feature request #3373
fTools buffer geoprocessing error with certain data
|Pull Request or Patch supplied:||Resolution:||fixed|
|Easy fix?:||Copied to github as #:||13433|
Buffering fails if shapefile has two columns with the same name. This error did not occur in previous QGIS releases (v1.2 ?), but has been found in QGIS 1.6.
1. Open buffer(s) dialog: Vector > Geoprocessing tools > Buffer(s)
2. Input vector layer selected has two columns with the identical column name.
3. Choose output file and buffer distance e.g. 0.0005, and leave other defaults.
4. For "Would you like to add the new layer to TOC?", click Yes
5. Geoprocessing dialog then returns:
Error loadings output shape files
1. Short-term. A more user-friendly error message explaining that there is a problem with duplicate column names
2. Buffer tool to handle shapefiles with duplicate column names?
Submitted by: [email protected] (irc: samrae)
#2 Updated by Tim Sutton about 9 years ago
Replying to [comment:1 lutra]:
are two columns with the same name allowed?
According to the spec as far as I know you may not have duplicate column names, but users don't always follow the spec and the buffer tool should at least give the user some feedback as to why creation of the buffer failed.
#3 Updated by cfarmer - almost 9 years ago
- Resolution set to fixed
- Status changed from Open to Closed
This ticket is actually a duplicate of #3148, which has been closed as of c08e1a42 (SVN r15386). QgsVectorFileWriter should now handle duplicate names more gracefully, and where it does not, fTools now issues an error message.
As always, please update and test to confirm this issues has been resolved. If not, please reopen the ticket.