Bug report #19254
GRASS integration failures
|Affected QGIS version:||3.2||Regression?:||No|
|Operating System:||Windows 7 Pro, x64||Easy fix?:||No|
|Pull Request or Patch supplied:||No||Resolution:||fixed/implemented|
|Crashes QGIS or corrupts data:||No||Copied to github as #:||27082|
I've had a series of issues with GRASS on my Windows systems. The last time I had GRASS working on any of my Windows systems was probably QGIS 2.12 running under Windows XP. Currently, I'm trying to use QGIS 3.2 64-bit, running Windows 7 x64 Pro. I've tried the OSGEO4W installer, and the standalone installer. Until QGIS 3.0, there some plugin options to get around my GRASS issues, but they've not been updated for use with QGIS > 3.0.
It started with the msvcr80.dll missing issue, that was apparently considered fixed years ago (https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/420), but I've never been able to do anything to correct it. I've found and moved the .dll files mentioned in that thread, and only manged to keep producing different missing .dll errors. I've downloaded every redistributable C++ installer that I've seen mentioned as possibly fixing the problem, all to no avail. I've certainly got multiple copies of msvcr80.dll on my system, mostly in places where its being used by a particular app, as far as I can tell. In any case, I tried installing standalone GRASS for MS-Windows, and still had the same error, so that apparently is not solely a QGIS issue.
My frustration is compounded my the fact that my (sadly underpowered) Linux computer works just fine, albeit only with smaller files. Moreover, I recently got QGIS put on my Windows 10 box at work, and appear to be able to use GRASS modules without any problems.
My frustration has led me to keep trying to follow instructions from around the different help sites/bug reporting boards, which has so far ended up with me losing the ability to log into my home windows machine for a brief period this afternoon. I seem to have backtracked my way out of that disaster, but my GRASS issues have worsened.
Now, pretty much anytime I close the QGIS options menu, I get the following error message:
Wrong value for parameter "GRASS7 folder":
Specified path does not exist:
I uninstalled and reinstalled QGIS standalone a few times, and got rid of some registry leftovers after the last uninstall. I am well aware that fixing these problems is probably not going to come out reporting this as a bug, but I'd really rather be performing a viewshed analysis than randomly shifting around the fiddly little bits of my computer's internal workings, which only seems to be making things worse anyway.
#4 Updated by Matt O'Brien about 3 years ago
Jürgen Fischer wrote:
Change the setting to C:\PROGRA~1\QGIS3~1.0\apps\grass\grass-7.4.1
Thanks for that. I was thinking I had made that change, but then realized that I had only tried to change the location within the GRASS plugin options. Made the change under Processing Providers, and at least got that issue remedied. Cheers.
#5 Updated by Matt O'Brien about 3 years ago
I forgot to mention, in my original post, I had the details open during my last reinstall of QGIS standalone for Windows x64; at the last second, I saw something along the lines of a batch file failing to load, but the "finish" screen popped up before I saw which batch file it was...definitely something .bat though.