Bug report #16306

Inaccessible window when using external monitor

Added by Todd Langland over 2 years ago. Updated over 2 years ago.

Status:Closed
Priority:Normal
Assignee:-
Category:OsX UI
Affected QGIS version:2.18.2 Regression?:No
Operating System:OS X Easy fix?:No
Pull Request or Patch supplied:No Resolution:invalid
Crashes QGIS or corrupts data:No Copied to github as #:24216

Description

Wasn't able to find an existing issue related to this, so apologies if it exists somewhere.

When using the 'Add vector layer' dialog, if I click on the 'Directory' source type the dialog window gets thrown off the screen and is unable to be reached. Since no other menus are available while the dialog is open, this means a restart of the application is necessary. This only happens with an external monitor connected, behavior is as expected if monitor(s) are disconnected.

Not really sure how to demonstrate this behavior. I've attached two screenshots: 1) 'Before', the 'add vector layer' dialog, 2) 'After', after clicking the directory button and viewing all windows you can see the dialog has been moved and is inaccessible.

Let me know what other information I can provide as I'm sure I have left out necessary context.

Before.png - Before (1.32 MB) Todd Langland, 2017-03-07 08:48 AM

After.png - After (852 KB) Todd Langland, 2017-03-07 08:48 AM

History

#1 Updated by Giovanni Manghi over 2 years ago

  • Category changed from GUI to OsX UI
  • Status changed from Open to Feedback

Just tried on macOS 10.12 with an external LCD and had no issues.

#2 Updated by Giovanni Manghi over 2 years ago

not sure how to replicate.

#3 Updated by Todd Langland over 2 years ago

Continuing to experiment and I should add one more caveat, it appears to only happen when the QGIS window is not on the 'master' screen (that is, the laptop screen). Very possible it is a weird quirk of my particular setup, but thank you for giving it a try.

#4 Updated by Giovanni Manghi over 2 years ago

Todd Langland wrote:

Continuing to experiment and I should add one more caveat, it appears to only happen when the QGIS window is not on the 'master' screen (that is, the laptop screen). Very possible it is a weird quirk of my particular setup, but thank you for giving it a try.

I moved QGIS main window on the external LCD, and still no issues.

#5 Updated by Todd Langland over 2 years ago

Giovanni Manghi wrote:

Todd Langland wrote:

Continuing to experiment and I should add one more caveat, it appears to only happen when the QGIS window is not on the 'master' screen (that is, the laptop screen). Very possible it is a weird quirk of my particular setup, but thank you for giving it a try.

I moved QGIS main window on the external LCD, and still no issues.

Sounds like I'll just work around it then. Thanks for checking it out, I appreciate the quick response.

#6 Updated by Giovanni Manghi over 2 years ago

  • Resolution set to invalid
  • Status changed from Feedback to Closed

Todd Langland wrote:

Giovanni Manghi wrote:

Todd Langland wrote:

Continuing to experiment and I should add one more caveat, it appears to only happen when the QGIS window is not on the 'master' screen (that is, the laptop screen). Very possible it is a weird quirk of my particular setup, but thank you for giving it a try.

I moved QGIS main window on the external LCD, and still no issues.

Sounds like I'll just work around it then. Thanks for checking it out, I appreciate the quick response.

please reopen if you find is a real general issue.

Also available in: Atom PDF