In QGIS 2.2:
- Style settings are embedded in Layer preferences
- style = n Marker hierarchy
- project has defaults for styling
- there is a symbol style manager
- 'Style manager' is what currently is a preset catalogue (external)
A ticket by tim that describes further issues: http://hub.qgis.org/issues/9956
Here as video screencast https://vimeo.com/90350803
Dialogs in other complex tools¶
Ideas for improvement¶
- #7556 Oliver lists a lot of small UX lacks
- style manager - currently the style library dialog that makes preset styles accessible. But here we mean the layer style properties dialog.
- layer style - a graphic style that
- vis. signature
- SM get's its own menu item at the layer context menu (it is the most important functionality for amateurs... professional GIS users and to important to be 'hidden', see #9083)
- contra: context menu is already cluttered
- styles getting layer independent
- for a related disucssion see http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Renaming-Save-Style-gt-Save-Properties-Vector-layer-dialog-td5106750.html
- getting a good preview ability, even on single screen systems
- map preview or layer/symbol preview?
- General layer vis attributes (visible, opacity, composition, ...) should become part of the legend (layer view) on the main window (as GIMP, Eclipse, ...) and move out of the dialog, see #9126
- for a related discussion see http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Vienna-hackfest-QGIS-Legend-discussion-td5131063.html
- SM get out of the layer preferences dialog (the context is very specific (here: the styling) and needs a lot of space)
- SM get's sensitive on Layer properties (the geometry types, attributes and it's types, ...)
- the dialog already reacts to the geometry type, please clarify!
- make dialog similar to attribute table (toolbar)
- save/load/reset/default styles get toolbar buttons
- preview box should display an area
- area = section of the main map?
- for issues concerning data-defined styling see http://hub.qgis.org/issues/9881