This section is intended to show how to perform basic GIS operations in QGIS in the most straightforward way. It is modelled after ÂHow do I do that in ArcGIS/Manifold?: illustrating classic GIS tasksÂ. That document illustrated a selection of tasks which were thought to be representative of common usage in 2004, and was itself derived from a checklist of essential GIS functions that was included in 1988 in ÂA Process for Selecting Geographic Information SystemsÂ.
This document reflects the list of tasks found in the original "How do I do that in ArcGIS/Manifold?" document, and retains similar task titles and structure. A list covering additional tasks thought important, including these tasks, may be found in How do I do that in QGIS?
As much as possible these try and use the Alaska sample data. This means that if you want to try something, you can use see what things could look like.
- Introductory Notes
- Data Management
- Database Creation
- Data Manipulation and Analysis
- Data Display and Presentation
- Want to help?
These relate to how to view and edit your tabular data.
- Adding a column to a table
- Sorting tabular or graphical data
- Calculating values for new fields using arithmetic or related tables - making calculations
- Relating data files and fields
This section details making and loading data for use in QGIS.
- Assigning topology
- Import and export
Data Manipulation and Analysis¶
- Data Retrieval
- Raster analysis: Select data by area masks
- Data Restructuring
- Smoothing data to recover sinuosity
- Data Transformation
- Vector overlay
- Raster Processing
- Statistical function
- 3D Analysis
- Network Functions
Data Display and Presentation¶
Want to help?¶
Feedback is welcome.
Notes on my-OS-does-it-differently and how-to-make-this-document-function-better are particularly welcome.
Some guidance notes.
- Where possible try to use the Alaska Sample Data to demonstrate the examples.
- Any OS variation is welcome. I'm going to maintain a OS agnostic stance here, even though I know there are minor differences between menu layouts in linux, windows and mac.
- If you feel comfortable in the wiki-verse and have a login to the QGIS wiki I encourage you to add your changes.
- If you don't feel comfortable in the wiki-verse I'm happy for completed parts to be forwarded to me and I'll add them in when I have time.