PSC Meeting 7 November 2014¶
Proposed meeting time:¶
- Is there any time plan for QGIS 3.0 yet? (Anita)
- QGIS 3.0 and breaking the API (Anita)
- Implications for plugin dev community & python documentation - require instructions in Python Cookbook for each change?
- QGIS design: application and project icons (Anita)
- Some members of the community are rightly pointing out that we are currently using the same icon for both QGIS desktop, browsers, and project files. (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/1610) Imho, it's not a huge problem but in the medium term I'd like to see different icons, especially to make desktop and browser distinguishable. We already agreed that we would only restart the logo discussion once we get to 3.0, but it's certainly necessary to consider a potential change. I would like to decide on the following questions, now, well before the stress of upcoming 3.0 is on us:
- Do we agree that 3.0 should come with different icons for desktop, browser, and project files?
- Are we willing to invest financial resources to get these icons? (Otherwise we need to work with what we can get for free.)
- I would like to (1.) run an idea contest for revamping our logo for 3.0. (2.) The community would then be voting to get top picks from the submitted ideas. (3.) With the winning ideas, I would like to go back to one of these websites where professional logo designers compete for design jobs. The final decision should be up to the PSC otherwise I'm afraid we will wind up in endless discussions without a final decision like last time. (Step 3 could be skipped if 2 has a clear winner which fulfills all our expectations.) Would you support this move?